Welcome, mans convention attendees!
The 40th Annual MANS State Convention is taking place on Saturday February 22, 2020 at Howard Community College in Columbia, MD. We wanted to touch base with you prior to the event to pass on information that will hopefully make this an exciting, stress-free experience for you!
A schedule will be made available soon, and a map of Howard Community College can be located HERE
Howard Community College
10901 Little Patuxent Pkwy
Columbia, MD 21044
- FROM BALTIMORE: Drive west on US 40; bear left (south) on US 29. Take Exit 20B—Columbia Town Center—off of US 29, and continue on Little Patuxent Parkway to Howard Community College, a distance of 6.8 miles from the intersection of US 40 and US 29.
- FROM BALTIMORE BELTWAY 695: Take exit 16 west (Interstate 70N). Drive 7 miles and bear left (south) on US 29. Continue as above to Howard Community College.
- FROM I-95: Driving north or south on I-95, take the Jessup–Columbia (Route 175) exit. Follow Route 175 west (Columbia), which turns into Little Patuxent Parkway where it intersects US 29. Continue on Little Patuxent Parkway to Howard Community College.
- FROM WASHINGTON, D.C.: Drive north on US 29 (Colesville Road) about 18 miles from the Georgia Avenue–Colesville Road intersection. Take Broken Land Parkway, exit 18 (Town Center, Hickory Ridge). When you come to Little Patuxent Parkway, turn left and follow to Howard Community College.
2. Parking: All students are welcome to park in Lots A, B, & C. Parking is free and is available throughout the campus.
3. Registration: Registration is located in the Health Science Building. Please arrive between 0800 and 0830 to allow time for registration as our Opening Ceremony will begin promptly at 0900 in the Smith Theatre. A light breakfast will be available during registration, but keep in mind food and beverages are not permitted in the Theatre.
4. Delegates and MANS Board of Directors 2018-2019 Candidates: Please sign in with Brittany Karmasek, MANS Membership & Nominations Chair, at the Delegates/Candidates Credentialing table in the Health Science Building. If you interested in running for a MANS Board of Directors position for 2020-2021, then you are in luck! You can run from the floor for a BOD position even if you did not apply prior to convention. More information about running for a position is on our website. If you have questions prior to Convention day, please email [email protected].
5. From Open to Close & Everything in between:
- Opening Ceremony: Our opening ceremony will kick off the event shortly after registration. Don't miss the Keynote Mary Kay DeMarco former MNA President from 2017-2019 and Nursing Program Director at CCBC.
- Breakout sessions: Customize your day! There will be multiple slots where various educational sessions will be held. The schedule will be available in advance online and will be provided to you day of. We're bringing back all of the favorites from last year. Sessions will include a panel of recent entry to practice nurses (0-5 years), Narcan training, a Hurst NCLEX focused review topic, and SO MUCH MORE! Time is also allotted for lunch and for time to speak with vendors.
- Closing Ceremony: The closing ceremony will wrap up the event. First you'll hear from our End-note speaker followed by all drawings and door prizes, scholarship recipients, and Board of Directors election results.
6. Door prizes & Scholarships If you haven't already seen our posts about the AMAZING giveaways convention day then keep reading! Each Maryland pre-nursing, RN, or BSN student will automatically receive one door prize raffle ticket and one scholarship raffle ticket at the time of registration. To win you must be present at the closing ceremony when ticket numbers are drawn. Scholarship winners will receive a check onsite and must be able to present proof of current program/course registration (logging into your school site showing current registration will be sufficient) and good standing and show valid identification (driver's license or state ID).
7. FUNdraisers and Charity Drive: We can't all get together without finding a way to give back to the community. We hope you'll help! There'll be opportunities to win prizes and a friendly school competition to go along with it.
- This year MANS is hosting a drive to collect donations for Paul's Place. Drop off your donations at registration. For donating one or more items from the list below you
will receive an additional door prize raffle ticket. The items we are seeking
◾New Men, Women, and Children Socks (All Sizes)
◾New Men, Women, and Children Underwear (All Sizes)
◾Hotel Size Toiletries (deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.)
◾Diapers (Sizes 1-6)
◾Laundry Detergent (PODs or small bottles would be best!)
◾Gently used pants of any size (clean & in good condition)
◾Gently used professional clothing of any size (clean & in good condition)◾Gently used duffel bags or back packs (clean & in good condition)
- Penny Wars Contest:
Bring your pennies to convention to help your school win! What are the rules?
Pennies = positive points
Any other coin or dollar bill = negative points
* So put pennies in your school jar and other monetary donations in another school's jar. The winning school will be featured in the next newsletter. All proceeds tallied up, the winning school will be announced at the closing ceremony, and up to $200 in proceeds will be matched by MANS and donated to Hearts & Ears.
8. Dress Code: Attire is business casual to business professional. This means NO JEANS, ripped or distressed clothing, short or revealing hemlines, crop tops, or flip-flops. Use your nursing judgement and choose something you'd feel comfortable wearing to an interview (other than scrubs). Faculty, college admissions, and nurse recruiters will be there so dress professional and bring your resume!
9. Weather: Get up to the minute weather and closing information by visiting www.howardcc.edu
look forward to seeing you at 0800 on Saturday 2/22! Continue to visit our
Maryland Association of Nursing Students IG, Facebook, or our website for
updates, and as always do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
The MANS 2019-2020 Board of Directors